Want to watch it on youtube? youtube.com/watch?v=C0YjbM9Xcs8 (new window)
NIJMEGEN A TIMELAPSE FILM
Duration in realtime: 29h 19m
Displayed photos: 9071
My first timelapse film takes place in, about and around the Dutch city Nijmegen. Through my study I came to this nice small city near the German border. Nijmegen is not only a great place to study, it has also many wonderful places to offer! In my timelapse film I try to catch all the nice places of Nijmegen, try to show a side of Nijmegen that even the inhabitants do not see. I shot the film between March and June 2015.
– with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
L R Timelapse
& A lot of time and effort made this possible
Thanks for Evan & Cody for giving me the permission to use their great song! You can find them here
Pillow Talk by The Analog Affair | soundcloud.com/theanalogaffair
Upload & Rendering:
Resolution: 4096 x 2304 Full 4K
Framerate: 30 (except the stars, they have an fps of 18) – progressive
Bitrate: 80 Mbps
The Locations & Storyboard
A big challenge was the selection of the locations. I had many locations in my mind and after I took a few timelapses I noticed very early that I have to write a scriptbook. Or at least a list of all the places I want to go. Fortunately I learned quite early that Radboud University didn’t want to be included, so I had to replan my location list.
Very often I scouted the location and the area a couple of days ahead, making test pictures. This is essential, to e.g. determine the right camera angle, movement of the sun or traffic. It happened also that I had to create the same timelapse at the same spot again, because I missed a single detail which disturbed the timelapse. Those details were technical (wrong camera settings) or enviromental. Two times I had fog on the lens, a tripod that was standing on a beach and with each wave it was sinking deeper and deeper and street signs or posts which were suddenly more disturbing than I thought.
The cold weather was also a challenge: it drains the battery, once an empty battery ended a timelapse about 40 minutes too early. The sequence still went into the film: it is the very last sequence!
During all the recordings I never left the camera, so yes I stood there for 2-3 hours next to the camera playing with my smartphone or reading (a photography book of course!). Together with hot tea and a bunch of handwarmers.
When I finished, I printed all the scenes as small photos, so that I had it easier to create the storyboard. I had to rearrange it to make it fitting with the music. I don’t want to know how many hours I spend on that!
All in all I had about 800GB of timelapse material on my hard-drive: that includes 50h 03min real-time duration recording, and 16709 pictures.
The biggest challenge is the weather. The layman would only think: rain is bad. But there is more:
Timelapses & Weather conditions
- Pure blue sky: boring
- Sky filled 100% with clouds: bad
- Cloud layers on cloud layers: bad
- Smaller clouds with blue sky behind: perfect!
Especially for transition timelapses it’s difficult: In the beginning over the day there are clouds and as soon as the sun is under the horizon the clouds go away. Clear sky. Boring – you cannot really see that time passes.
So have a look on the weather forecasts:
A difficult task, isn’t it? I spent some evenings outside, just to pack my stuff after 20 minutes, because there were no more clouds in the sky…
Things worth to read:
- The stars! I drove to an another country to get a less air-polluted sky – while I was driving around, the German police stopped me and asked me about my weird hobby! >Timelapse Clip Stars
- The waterdrop scene! You have to know: This isn’t rain! I made the drops with a plant-water-spray thingy! >Timelapse Clip Waterdrops on the window
- Sun behind clouds. There was a lot of preparation, testing, waiting and especially editing. You see the sun here through a green welding glass! >Timelapse Clip Sun behind clouds
- Waalbrug Sunrise! Waking up early in the morning isn’t fun – but the results were really worth it. With some pictures from the set-up >Timelapse Clip Waalbrug Sunrise
- Tunnelweg! Look at the roof in the back! You see people on it! >Timelapse Clip Tunnelweg
Publicity during the production of this timelapse:
The Campus Security & Why no University in the timelapse…:
Early in the beginning I noticed that the Radboud University did not want to be included in my timelapse: The Campus Security made me leave the campus, because I was bothering people with my camera. They explained me in general that nobody is allowed to take pictures without permission (but still everybody takes “selfies” there). Since this is a public space I still do not see why I’m not allowed to take pictures, but your choice Radboud! (Read here what happened).
Choosing the right music for my upcoming timelapse film was a tough choice. I spent many hours, even days hunting for some nice music. It’s easy to take music which is played on the radio all day long or soundtracks from movies, but due to copyright issues my film would be immediately blocked on youtube. So the song or music must be published under the Creative Commons licence to avoid that.
I checked many artists on soundcloud or jamendo, but not finding the right type of music to show different scenes for my timelapse. The music should be usable while you see clouds, cars and even stars moving! If you have some special kind of music which I should use for my next timelapse, let me know!!
I was very happy when Evan & Cody from “The Analog Affair” gave me the permission, to use two of their songs “Pillow Talk” and “Dream”.
You can find “The Analog Affair” here: https://soundcloud.com/theanalogaffair
All locations shown in the Timelapse | Click here for an overview with pictures
If they are linked, you can read some specific background information, also some technical info. I did not manage to upload all scenes yet, the rest will follow soon
Clouds 1 (Palkerplein)
CS Perron 4
Nijmegen-Sunset (near De witte Molen)
Waterdrops (Near Keizer Karelplein)
Nijmegen Skyline -Sunrise
Sakuras (Dorpspark Hees)
Waalbrug (on the bridge)
Waal-constructionside (the one with the people)
Joris-Ivensplein (from Snelbinderbrug)
CS Train Depot
De Witte Molen / Looimolen
Sun behind clouds (goffert)
Keizer Karelplein Fontain (ON a roundabout)
Marikenstraat / Marienburg / Koningsstraat
NXP / Regus Building
Waal beach Sunset
All the places (or scenes) where I took timelapses (this list is NOT complete, some timelapses did not even made into post-production).
- Goffertpark Sun Eclipse (20 Mar, 240 pic). done, not in film
- Snelbinderbrug 1(21 Mar, 248 pic). done, not in film
- Vossenveld 9th floor sunset (22 Mar, 370 pic). done, not in film
- Stars 1 (23 Mar, 240 pic). done, not in film
- Joris Ivensplein (24 Mar, 365 pic) done. in film
- Clouds 1 (24 Mar, 240 pic) done, maybe in film
- Clouds 2 (24 Mar, 240 pic) done, maybe in film
- Keizer Karelplein Roundabout (24 Mar, 242pic). done, in film
- Stars 2 (27 Mar, 240 pic). done, in film
- Nijmegen Tunnelweg / CS Brug (27 Mar, 240 pic). done, in film
- Main Station Busstops / CS Bushalten (27 Mar, 451 pic) done, in film
- Raindrops on the window (7 Apr, 321 pic). done, in film
- Waal-Snelbinderbrug Sunset (8 Apr, 527 pic). done, not in film
- Waalbrug (8 Apr, 270 pic) done. not in film
- Roundabout Wijchenseweg (10 Apr, 254 pic). done, not in film
- Waal Beach 1 (12 Apr, 272 pic). done, not in film
- Waal Beach 2 (12 Apr, 272 pic). done, not in film
- Waal Beach 3 (12 Apr, 242 pic). done, not in film
- Clouds 3 (13 apr, 240 pic) done, maybe in film
- Burchtstraat / Grote Markt (13 Apr, 270 pic) done, in film
- Burchtstraat / Grote Markt (13 Apr, 271 pic) done, not in film
- Snelbinderbrug 2(13 Apr, 375 pic). done, in film
- Sunset at witte molen 3(13 Apr, 326 pic) done. in film
- Waal Beach 4 (14 Apr, 272 pic). done, not in film
- Waal Beach 5 (14 Apr, 355 pic). done, not in film
- Waal Beach 6 (14 Apr, 271 pic). done, in film
- Main Station Perron 4 (14 Apr, 284 pic). done, in film
- Construction Site i-lent 1(15 Apr, 377 pic). done, maybe in film
- Construction Site i-lent 2 (15 Apr, 301 pic). done, in film
- Waal-Snelbinderbrug Sunrise (16 Apr, 227 pic). done, not in film
- Vossenveld 9th floor sunset (16 Apr, 370 pic). done, not in film
- Constructionsite i-lent 3 (17 Apr, 300 pic) done. maybe in film
- Constructionsite i-lent 4 (17 Apr, 210 pic) done. not in film
- Main Station Depot (Centraal Station Depot) 1 (17 Apr, 396 pic) done, not in
- Main Station Depot (Centraal Station Depot) 2 (18 Apr, 351 pic) done, in film
- Clouds 4 (17 Apr, 291 pic) done. not in film
- Nijmegen City / Snelbinderbrug 3 (17 Apr, 238 pic) done. in film
- De witte molen 1 (19Apr, ? pic) done, not in film
- Clouds in front of Sun 1 (29 Apr, 495 pic) done. in film
- Graafsebrug (1 may, 371pic) done. in film
- Kronenbrugerpark (11 May, 270pic). done, in film
- Sakuras (1 May, 270 pic) done. not in film
- Waal-Snelbinderbrug Sunset 2 (11 May, 290pic) done. in film
- De witte molen / Windmolen (13 may, 270 pic) done. in film
- Waal-Sunrise Nijmegen City (27 May, 341 pic) done. in film
- Waal-Sunrise Waalbrug (27 May, 408 pic) done. in film
- Railways under the bridge, Muntmeesterlaan (8 Jun, 240 pic) done. in film
- Marikenstraat (25th June, 223 pic) done. in film
- Molenstraat (25th June, 230 pic) done. in film